Tuesday, March 20, 2012

TWD - Irish Soda Bread

Happy belated St. Patty's Day!  Hope you were able to celebrate with some of the traditional Irish foods.  Our Tuesdays with Dorie / Baking with Julia selection fit right in with the theme.  Carla and Cathleen chose Irish Soda Bread from page 214 of the Baking with Julia book.

I chose to make the bread as presented and had planned to make it again with raisins as another traditional variation, but alas, Lassie, I ran out of time.  You could let your imagination run wild with ways to vary it.  The basic recipe is pretty simple with only four ingredients.

Wait!!!  I only see three!  Maybe you can guess the third.  If not, see if you can spot it a little later on.

Now, don't be scared when it looks like a raggedy mess.

It actually comes together quite nicely with very little effort and no need for a mixer.

Don't forget to slice an "x" in the top before you bake it!

The bread is very dense and went well with the soup we had for dinner.

I had an abundance of apricot lekvar left from the rugelach from a previous post and it added a nice touch to the meal as well.  No dessert needed!!!

The information in the book said that you needed to eat it the same day, but I wrapped it in plastic wrap and it still had some nice moisture to it the next morning so I sliced it and made some cinnamon toast for breakfast.

This recipe was a nice change from the more difficult rugelach that we made earlier. I hope you've discovered the fourth ingredient by now but no need to worry you can always check with out hosts listed above or pick up a copy of the book.

Have fun cooking and I'll try to get another post in before the next Tuesday's with Dorie event.


  1. I agree.. it was almost a relief after the rugelach!! :) Yours came out great!!

  2. This was totally a welcome change from the rugelach. Whew.
    I am sure it was very tasty with the lekvar. Looks good!

  3. Your bread looks fabulous! I love this recipe, so quick and the outcome is delicious! Im glad were baking together in BWJ!

  4. Looks gorgeous! Love the idea of cinnamon toast the next day.

  5. I think a lot of us had some lekvar left over - I agree, it is a perfect spread for this bread.

  6. Nana,

    Nice photos...bread and soup...great combo.

    Lekvar looks so delish!

    ~ Carmen