The recipe is on pages 325-326 of the Baking with Julia book or posted on the blogs of the hostesses calls for a filling of apricot or prune lekvar, assorted nuts and dried fruits, and a cinnamon/sugar mixture. There is a reference to a recipe for the lekvar (which I made) or you can find it at specialty grocery stores or online.
So that's the background, now here is how it went down:
- My plan was to make it over the weekend at our lake house. I got the pastry dough and lekvar made then ran out of time and had to pack it all up in the cooler and bring it back to our other house.
- When I made the dough, I broke the cardinal rule of cooking and baking by not measuring all of the flour into a separate prep bowl. Instead I was putting the three cups of flour directly into the food processor by half cup quantities. Somewhere in the middle of mixing I was interrupted and lost track of where I was. I believe I shorted it by a half cup of flour.
- The apricot lekvar was easy and came together nicely. I may make it again sometime with some added spices and/or herbs and use it as a spread on toast. The only problem was that I needed two cups and the recipe said that it made 3/4 cup. This led me to make 2 1/2 times the recipe so that I would have the right amount plus a little bit left. As it turns out that one recipe makes quite a bit more than 3/4 cup. I'm really glad I like it as a spread!!
- My last mistake was not using a double pan with my second batch. They burned a little bit on the bottom. Batches 1, 3 and 4 were double panned and the result was a nice crunchy bottom
All that said, they look kind of sad but still tasted pretty darn good...even better with a glass of milk.
Now that I know the pitfalls, I will probably try to make them again soon and play around with some different fillings. Nutella or chocolate would be close to the top of my list.