Friday, April 20, 2012

TWD - Lemon Loaf Cake

(Yes, I do know that it is actually Friday.  My apologies to our hosts Truc and Michelle.  All I can say is that life happens.  Having done all the prep work, I still wanted to post, so here goes.)


When life gives you lemons, 



Make Lemon Loaf Cake (recipe on pages 252-253 of Dorie Greenspan's book, Baking With Julia).  



This is a lovely cake, with a subtle lemon flavor, that could be used for so many things as well as eating just as it is.  If you have all the ingredients, 


you can mix it together in just a few minutes with only a whisk.  No need to get out the mixer.  

First zest some lemons.
Whisk together some eggs, sugar and salt.

Sift in a mixture of flour and
baking powder. Whisk in some
heavy cream. Fold in some melted
 butter and...Wah La!!!
Beautiful Lemon Loaf Cake, baked,
cooled, and ready to slice.


Now you just have to decide how you want to eat it.  It would make a wonderful cake base for Strawberry Shortcake or you could use those zested lemons to make a lemon glaze.  Might even work well in a bread pudding.  It could pair with so many other flavors.  If you were in an experimenting mood, it might be fun to put some basil in the lemon glaze.  It's even delicious toasted.


Just two cautionary notes.  Be sure to actually get out your sifter and sift the flour into the egg mixture.  If you don't you could end up with little pockets of flour that would detract from your beautiful cake.  Secondly, don't over-bake or it will be dry.  Remember that it will continue cooking after you remove it from the oven.


3 comments:

  1. Very nice.
    This was definitely a nice cake as a base for shortcake or a trifle. I wish I had tried some of mine toasted - that sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh if I hadn't finished mine already I would have tried toasting it. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toasted...toasted...toasted...I never once thought to toast this...am going to need to make it all over again just so I can toast it. Oh, and mine didn't come with whipped cream and raspberries either, so back to the kitchen I go to try all these things. Lovely, just lovely.

    ReplyDelete